If you are a geek and like tweaking your android smartphone to satisfy your needs, you are likely to have bricked your phone in the process. This can be very costly as you can end up losing your device. The bricks can either be soft or hard. To restore your phone to its original state after a hard brick follow the steps listed below.
- The latest version of SP Flashtools (5.1528)
- VCOM drivers (Available for Windows and Linux)
- USB Cable
- Stock ROM specific to your phone
First, install the VCOM drivers in Windows 7 and XP. Take these steps:
- Open the device manager in your PC and select anything from the menu
- Click on Actions
- Select Add legacy hardware
- Press Next and Click on Install Hardware manually
- Click Next and select Have Disk
- Select the VCOM drivers suitable for your operating system
- Click on Finish
To install VCOM drivers in Windows 8.1 and 10, you need to temporarily disable the driver signature verification enforcement. To do so follow the following steps:
- Click on the Start button on your PC and go to Settings
- Click on the Update & Security button
- Select Recovery
- Click on the Advanced Startup and select Restart Now
- Click on Troubleshoot and select the Advanced Options
- Click on the Startup Settings and press Restart- the computer restarts with the startup settings window
- To disable, press the f7 button on your keyboard
- To install the drivers, follow the steps as those of Windows 7 and XP
When you have installed these drivers, you are set to go with the unbricking of your phone. Make sure you have extracted the Stock ROM to the desktop in order to make it easier while locating it.
To unbrick follow these steps to the latter:
- Open the SP Flashtools folder after extracting
- Run the flash tool as administrator
- Click on the Scatter-loading and load the MTK Android scatter
- After it is loaded and all the items have been selected, click on the download button.
- Connect your ‘dead’ phone using the USB Cable to your PC.
- A progress bar will be visible and wait till it is 100% and a pop up window indicating that the download is complete.
If you are faced with a soft brick, it is much simpler to restore your phone back to the default state. You don’t need to use a PC. Follow these steps:
- Press the power and the volume up button simultaneously till your device goes into recovery
- Using the volume down button, go to factory reset
- Press the power button to select the option above
- Select “Yes” to erase all the user data
- After it is done erasing, select reboot and your phone will be as good as new.
From experience, all the above steps work 100%. If you are looking for Stock ROM, go to needrom website and download the ROM that is specific to your phone. The SP Flashtools is also used to install custom recovery to an Android phone, for instance, the clockworld mode recovery.